Monday 9 March 2015

etsy feature LucyLovesLeather

today i have a very interesting feature about a etsy shop i hope you all enjoy reading about it!

What's the story behind your shop name?

Even though my real name is Kimberly, a lot of my friends know me as Lucy! I used to play World of Warcraft pretty seriously, and my characters all had names that were based on Lucy - Lucynia, Lucyient, Lucyvious, the list goes on! I love bad puns and word play!

When I started making leather, I thought it would be fun to use my alter ego to create a name that used alliteration. So Lucy Loves Leather was born! It sounds much better to me than Kym Kreates Krafts.

When did you start designing?

I’ve been a hands on person my whole life. I love to make things, especially useful things! My mom taught me to sew when I was very young, and my dad showed me woodworking and home repair techniques. I can do drywall or make a quilt, and even weld sheet metal!

I didn’t start working with leather until 2012, when my sister showed me how to paint a mask. She had some blank masks she had formed, and let me decorate a few. I quickly fell in love with leather and it’s grown from there!

How do you start the design process?

My designs come from a variety of places. I usually will have an idea pop into my head and then I start sketching and brainstorming. I have several basic templates I’ve refined over the years, and use those for a starting point.

Sometimes I have a pile of ‘blanks’ - unpainted, formed masks- and will just start painting to see what happens. It usually turns out pretty neat, but I do have a pile of masks that didn't’ go right. On days where I’m taking a break, I go through the stack and see what I can salvage!

I love nature and animals, and traditional Japanese art. A lot of my designs combine those elements, and I tend to make very clean, bold, minimalist designs. I love steampunk, but I don’t do it well because I’m too precise!

What inspired you to open a etsy shop?

I first started selling on Etsy with my mom and sister in their shop. They had Squirrel Creek Creations LLC registered as a family business, since several people in my family are artistic. The shop was mostly selling wreaths, and a few masks at the time I joined.

It quickly became focused on masks, with other leather projects featured as well.

After a few years with Squirrel Creek, I wanted to branch out and have my own speciality shop that featured some of my new projects that didn’t fit with the masks and Armour. I’m now making leather jewelry and charms as part of my main product lines, and not just as an after thought.

I’m excited to see where it goes with the things I’ve learnt from over 500 sales in the Squirrel Creek Etsy store!

Do you have a favourite item you have created?

That answer changes over time! I have a special place in my heart for my fox masks. They were one of the first designs I developed all on my own. I will spend hours on youtube watching videos of foxes, and read everything I can on fox mythology and folk lore from around the world. I especially like the Japanese Kitsune mythology, and the Finnish myth about the northern lights being caused by foxes sweeping their tails through the snow.

Do you have a favorite shop on etsy besides your own of course?

I would have to say that my mom and sister’s shop is my other favorite! My sister is amazingly creative, and a very talented artist. We both get that from our mom, of course!

I also am good friends with Rebecca from Wirefly Jewelry - she does beautiful, wearable chain maille jewelry.

There are so many amazing shops on Etsy, I find something new every day!

What has been one of your favorite experiences so far as an artist/designer?

I think going to conventions and doing custom orders are tied for my favorite things to do. It’s great to see people wearing my work, and to have them put their trust in me to bring their concept to life!

But the biggest moment so far was getting an order from Paramount Pictures for 20 wolf masks! They were doing a promotional event for ‘The Wolf of Wall Street’ and wanted masks for their models to wear. My sister and I made 20 masks in 3 days!

Where can the readers find you? What are your website links?

I have my own website at www.LucyLovesLeather.com and am active on social media under the same name. I use Deviant Art, Instagram, Tumblr, and Facebook.

You can find my Etsy shop at www.Etsy.com/Shop/LucyLovesLeather

You can find Squirrel Creek on Etsy at www.etsy.com/squirrelcrkcreations
And the Squirrel Creek Blog is at squirrelcreek.blogspot.com

Let me know if you want more pictures! I have tons.
You can give out the code 'MISSE10' for 10% off any listed item in my shop.

Thanks for featuring me!
-Kym



No comments:

Post a Comment